Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Running On Rail Road Ties

Late this afternoon after a dip in the pool, I decided to go on an unplanned run.  The weather was cooling off from a high of around 90 degrees.  I wanted something quick.  I laced up my shoes and headed over to the Alameda creek trail and did 10 quick 30 second sprints.  I have not attempted any speed since 1980 or so.  It was not fast.  But I finished my work out in about 10 minutes.

On my return home, I started thinking about what I would have been doing as kid.  A young boy would be running in between the rail road tracks on the ties and jumping over the tracks randomly.  I gave it a try and it was really fun.  It was kind of like running a 6 inch steeple chase.  This only added another 5 minutes to my run.  Next time, I may try running for 30 minutes on the rail road ties.

No comments: