Friday, October 31, 2008

Intervals for Trail Runners

In all my years of running, I have found that an occasional track work out really helps my trail running. I am a firm believer in varying my work out routine. Last week, my eldest son complained about always riding on the same trail. I told him that we could ride the bicycle trail to Mission San Jose high school.

The first trip to Mission San Jose high school had lots of complications. Josiah had a flat on his front tire. We have 3 bicycles, so I just swapped out bicycles for the kids to ride. However, this meant adjusting the seats and handle bars for both boys since they have grown. After all the adjustments, it would have been easier to repair the flat tire.

It was a balmy 80 degrees. I packed an ice cold drink and my wife made 3 peanut butter sandwiches on whole wheat raisin bread. It took us 30 minutes via the trail to get to the high school track. The trail runs around part of Lake Elizabeth. We had to "ford" the rail road tracks to get to the bicycle trail that leads to Mission San Jose high school. The hardest part of this trail run is crossing Driscoll Road which has a concrete center divider. I cannot figure out why the City of Fremont allows this since it is a safety and liability issue to have no cross walk on this trail. There are a middle school and high school located on the trail. I have my kids walk their bicycles across the road when it is clear of cars.

I ran 2 x 1 mile repeats. I have not worked out on the track for nearly a year since I do my high intensity running on Alameda Creek trail. I was slow! I liked the work out so much that I ran it again 5 days later and improved my mile pace by 25 seconds. My goal is to run my mile repeats at a 6'30" pace. I hit 6'46" and felt good.

My boys love riding on this trail because they can ride their bicycles on dirt embankments surrounding the foot ball and soccer fields. I feel at peace because I have a visual on them at all times.

No comments: